Sunday, April 24, 2011

Gardening in Earnest

Ah blog, I have forsaken you--but not my garden. Have planted seeds for pole green beans, peas, three types of tomatoes, two types of pepper, cantelope, cucumber, beets, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts and broccoli. Also planted three garlic cloves. All this went into the ground around April 17.

Then I waited for the rain, as did farmers and gardeners throughout my area. The newspaper reported that we were in the worst 4 month drought since the Dust Bowl of the 1930s. Just my luck.

I've been watering the garden daily, but so far I haven't seen any green sprouts. Today, Easter, our area was blessed with rainfall. It rained through the night and much of the day. It was wonderful. I'll be keeping an eye on my plantings much closer now; the real thing--rain--just has to be what the sprouts have been waiting for.

No comments: