Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Time to Get Started

My project for this year will be a backyard garden. Haven't gardened in many years, so it's pretty much like starting from scratch. I already have gardener's fever and haven't turned over a shovel-full of soil.

Have spent the last week reading information from the Oklahoma County Cooperative Extension Office to educate myself. At this point, I am on system overload, so it's time to go outside and get this thing started.

My first order of business is to get the soil tilled. I'm fortunate that a neighbor has a new tiller he is excited to try out. I'm happy to let my 20x35 foot plot be his guinea pig. One thing at a time, but I know the next step will be some organic soil amendments. I'm still checking out my options, but thinking peat moss will be at least part of the plan.

Compost would be the best choice, but unfortunately I did not have the foresight to begin a compost pile last summer. My plan is to put a simple one together so I won't face the same problem next year.

Maybe you're a first-time gardener, or re-beginner like me--or maybe you're an old hand at this. No matter your level of expertise, I hope you'll follow my journey and add some tips or suggestions along the way. I'm looking at this first garden as a learning experience, but of course, hoping for the best too.

No comments: